Furniss Shearer & Leineweber
Attorneys At Law


Areas of Practice

Worker’s compensation

Nearly every worker in Oregon is covered by the Oregon Workers’ Compensation system. If you have been injured on the job, regardless of fault, you may be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits that cover your time loss, medical services, permanent disability suffered as a result of the injury and vocational rehabilitation, where appropriate.

Oregon Workers’ Compensation system is highly regulated. It is important to hire a lawyer who is knowledgeable about the details of the system in order to assist with your claim. There are deadlines for filing your claim, requesting an appeal or hearing, and claiming time loss. In Oregon, you do not have to pay for your attorney’s professional services, though you may be responsible for certain out-of-pocket expenses.

The lawyers at Furniss Shearer & Leineweber have over 30 years of experience in navigating the workers’ compensation system and can completely and effectively provide counsel and representation to our clients to yield the best possible outcome of their claims.

elder law

Furniss Shearer & Leineweber can provide extensive advice on management of and paying for long-term care. Whether you have planned substantially in advance, or not, we are competent advisors in the application for Medicaid benefits and pre-application planning, working with your Medicaid caseworker and navigating the system. We recognize that this is often a stressful time in your life, and not just financially. Our attorneys can competently and compassionately listen to all of your concerns, and create a plan for addressing your special circumstances.

Medicaid and Medicare are two very different federal and state programs. If you or someone you know may need Medicaid assistance to help pay for long-term care, we are here to assist. The average cost of long term care is over $5300 per month and few people are able to financially sustain this. It is not necessary to liquidate your estate in order to provide care for an ill family member. If you think that you are facing substantial long term care costs and think that you may have too many assets to qualify, do not give your assets away. If you or your spouse gives the assets away within 5 years prior to an application for Medicaid, you will be disqualified from benefits for a period of time. Certain other transfers are permissible, and we are here to assist you.

• Income Cap Trust
• Medicaid Planning and Advising
• Special Needs Trust
• Petitions for Support and Transfer of Assets

personal injury & Wrongful death

A serious injury or death to a family member is a life changing event that will permanently affect your life. Determining the value of these claims and resolving them with the responsible party is a difficult and complex matter. When faced with such a claim it is important for you to be represented by a lawyer you can trust who possesses the highest ethical standards and legal expertise necessary to represent you and resolve your claim in your best interest. The lawyers at Furniss Shearer & Leineweber possess the experience, legal expertise and ethical standards necessary to provide you with excellent legal service to evaluate, negotiate, settle or represent your claim in court.

Family law

Family law in Oregon covers a wide variety of legal topics and circumstances. These can include the following:

  • Divorce

  • Child Custody and Parenting

  • Spousal Support

  • Child Support

  • Modification of Child Custody and Support

  • Dissolution of Domestic Partnership

  • Premarital Agreements

  • FAPA Restraining Orders

  • Stalking Orders

Family law is one of the more complicated and emotionally charged areas of practice. It is important to have legal counsel that not only can navigate the legal landscape but do so with compassion and understanding. Furniss Shearer & Leineweber is committed to providing our family law clients with the benefit of experienced advocacy without sacrificing common sense and creating workable solutions for families.

Business law

Furniss Shearer & Leineweber provides legal counsel to many business clients, including family businesses, closely held corporations, partnerships, professional corporations and limited liability companies.

We work closely with our client to develop practical and cost effective solutions to the legal and logistical challenges facing those going into and continuing businesses in Oregon.

• Formation and Organization of Business entities
• Advising individuals of their rights and remedies
• Advising employment issues and contracts

Estate Planning & ADMINISTRATION

At Furniss Shearer & Leineweber, we recognize that you have worked hard and planned carefully to attain your desired standard of living. We work hard to preserve that standard for you and your loved ones in an orderly manner that minimizes both estate administration expense and tax, while maintaining the family structure.

Probate is the legal process a court oversees to protect the distribution of assets left by a deceased person. Probate is not always necessary and where it can be avoided, we will advise you of how to do so. In some circumstances, probate cannot be avoided or is in the best interests of the estate. When that is the case we will advise you of the benefits and alternatives so that you will make the best decisions for your estate.

We provide comprehensive and compassionate estate planning, probate administration and other services. We take into consideration not only your financial needs but also your family needs and concerns. Planning takes the stress out of not knowing.

• Will Preparation
• Trust Preparation
• Federal Estate and Oregon Inheritance Tax Planning
• Planning for Incapacity
• General Durable Power of Attorney
• Advance Directive for Health Care
• HIPAA Release
• Probate Services
• Special Needs Trust

guardianship & conservatorship

When a family member or friend is no longer legally competent to make financial or health care decisions for himself or herself and needs care in a mental health treatment facility, nursing home or other residential care facility, often times it is necessary to obtain a guardianship or conservatorship in order to take over those legal responsibilities. Alternatively, if a minor has received funds or is no longer living with a parent, a protective proceeding may needed.